Advanced Fill Device (AFD/A)
The Advanced Fill Device (AFD/A) gives signal officers the ability to direct and deploy the distribution of communications information while supporting three types of radio distribution.
The AFD/A is used as part of the Communications Management System (CMS) to support planning and distribution of communications information. It supports hierarchical distribution of two separate frequency plans.
- Directs the user to the equipment to be filled
- Supports distribution of a compromise recovery plan
- Supports 10 plan periods
Each AFD/A can distribute communications information for approximately 1,500¹ radios. The AFD/A supports three types of distribution: radio fill, key fill and net fill. It provides additional support for:
- A purge operation allowing sensitive information to be removed from the device
- Over-the-air erasing of the COMSEC keys of captured radios
Interoperable with the following fill equipment:
- MX-18290 fill devices
Supports filling the following radios:
- Processor: Intel® XScale® PXA270, 520 MHz
- Operating System: Microsoft® Windows Mobile® Version 5.0, Stored in non-volatile, Secure, Flash
- Memory (RAM): 64 MB low-power RAM databases
- Data Storage: Stores two plans without data loss when the batteries are discharged
- High Contrast Color Display: 3.5” diagonal (89 mm) 1/4 VGA Backlit LCD readable in direct sunlight
- Touchscreen: Sealed, resistive, pressure sensitive touchscreen, Convenient on board stylus storage
- Communications Module: Modular, field replaceable
- Size: 6.5 in long x 3.5 in wide x 1.7 in thin, (165 mm long x 89 mm wide x 43 mm thin)
- Weight: 17 ounces (482 grams)
- Magnesium case with elastomer overmold
- Keyboard: LED backlit keys including a four-way directional button
- MIL-STD-810F: water, humidity, sand and dust, vibration, altitude, shock high temperature, low temperature, temperature shock
- Waterproof and dustproof, IP67
- Shockproof: multiple drops from 5 ft (1.5 m) onto concrete
- Operates for more than 20 hours on one charge
- Battery easily changed in the field without tools
- Power off mode extends battery during long periods of inactivity
¹ The maximum number of radios is dependent upon the information associated with each radio.
² Contact Exelis for the configuration of Harris R/T supported by CMS.
click for full size image